Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What NOT to Wear: Personal Edition

For the past several months, I've been seeing an inordinate number of outfits similar to this one:


12.17.12


The button down gingham shirt layers under the crew neck sweater was quintessential J Crew prep. The girls sporting this style looked so put together and adorable. I thought, I just have to replicate this!

So I ordered this shirt from J Crew.




I was so excited upon receiving! That is, until I tried the outfit on. Can we can frumpy and lumpy? I have thick arms, broad chest and a soft tummy. Combine these 3 attributes with a fitted button down shirt and sweater? It was just a bad look. I'm too vain to share the atrocity with you.

Even though I KNOW that most button down shirts look bad on me. Even though I know that I look better is less structured fabrics and more forgiving cuts. Heck, I even think it looks frumpy on people that have my same trouble areas! But, I STILL ordered this shirt. I STILL wanted to recreate a look that is not meant for my body type. 

Why? I'll admit it. I succumbed to (self-inflicted) peer pressure. Against my better judgement, I wanted to emulate this look because darn it, it is preppy. But it was so wrong.

So here's to 2013 and working on only wearing items that flatter rather than trying to be something I,m not!

2 comments:

  1. I know it is so hard to resist trends! Everyone is chatting about how great those piko tops are, but the drop shoulder will look like junk on me. Guess I'll save some $ though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely in love with that trend, but button down shirts do NOT work on me. I totally know how you feel! We should find a new preppy looking trend for curvy gals that don't include button downs. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete